Selected References for Amateur Mycologists in the Pacific Northwest, compiled by Nancy Weber and Maggie Rogers, April 2004.
Entry Level Publications
Pacific Northwest/ Western North America
- McKenny, M., Stuntz, D.E. and Ammirati J.F. 1987. The New Savory Wild Mushroom. University of Washington Press
- Smith, A.H. 1975. A Field Guide to Western Mushrooms. University of Michigan Press.
- Tylutki, E.E. Mushrooms of Idaho and the Pacific Northwest: 1979, Vol.1, Discomycetes. 1987, Vol. 2, Non-gilled Hymenomycetes, (Agaricales and Aphyllophorales). University of Idaho Press.
- Evenson,V. S. 1997. Mushrooms of Colorado and the Southern Rocky Mountains. Westcliffe Publishers and Denver Museum of Natural History.
National to continental, mix of Pacific NW and other fungi
- Arora, D. 1991. All That the Rain Promises, and More. Ten Speed Press.
- Lincoff, G.H. 1981. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.
- Marteka, V. 1980. Mushrooms Wild and Edible. W. W. Norton & Co.
- Miller, O.K., Jr. 1972. Mushrooms of North America. E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.
- Smith, A.H. & Weber, N.S. 1980. The Mushroom Hunter's Field Guide. The Univ. of Michigan Press.
N. America north of Mexico/areas with similar climate & trees
- Arora, D. 1986. Mushrooms Demystified, ed. 2. Ten Speed Press.
- Breitenbach, J., & Kr"nzlin, F. Fungi of Switzerland. 1981, Vol. 1, Ascomycetes; 1986,Vol. 2, Non-gilled Fungi; 1991, Vol. 3 Boletes and Agarics, 1st part; 1995, Vol. 4, Agarics, 2nd part; 2000, Vol. 5: Agarics 3rd part.Verlag Mykologia Luzern.
- Hansen, L.& Knudsen, H., eds. Nordic Macromycetes. 2000, Vol. 1, Ascomycetes; 1992, Vol. 2. Polyporales, Boletales, Agaricales, Russulales; 1997, Vol. 3, Heterobasidioid, Aphyllophoroid and Gastromycetoid Basidiomycetes. Nordsvamp.
- Mad River Press. (Various authors & years). How to Identify Mushrooms to Genus: I, Macroscopic features; II, Field Identification of Genera; III., Microscopic features; IV, Keys to Families and Genera; V. Cultural and Developmental Features; VI, Modern Genera.
- Mad River Press. (Various authors & years). The Agaricales (Gilled Fungi) of California. Eleven sections issued so far on 11 families or groups of gilled mushrooms, more in the works.
- Smith, A.H. 1949. Mushrooms in Their Natural Habitats. Sawyer's, Inc.
- Smith, A.H., Smith, H.V, & Weber, N.S. 1979. How to Know the Gilled Mushrooms. 1981. How to Know the Non-gilled Mushrooms. Wm. C. Brown Co. Publishers.
Links to further Information:
- Sheine, S.: Bibliography For Teaching About Fungi
- Lubrecht & Cramer, Ltd.: International Books by Mail
- Mad River Press, Inc. (Note: Online information dated 2002)
- www.abebooks.com: New Books, Used Books, Rare Books, Out-of-Print Books
- Rogers, M. Fungal Cave Books: Diverse previously owned mushroom books: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wayner, G.: Used, Rare, Scholarly and Natural History Books
If You Suspect
Contact a physician
or Washington Poison
Come learn with us in our meetings, classes, field trips and more!Benefits of Joining Join Online
October 13-14, 2012
Our Wild Mushroom Exhibit is one of the largest and most complete in the United States. Over 200 varieties of wild mushrooms will be displayed, identified, and classified.Learn more