Selected References for Amateur Mycologists in the Pacific Northwest, initially compiled by Nancy Weber and Maggie Rogers, April 2004 and revised Jan 2016.
Pacific Northwest/ Western North America
- McKenny, M., Stuntz, D.E. and Ammirati J.F. 1987. The New Savory Wild Mushroom. University of Washington Press
- Smith, A.H. 1975. A Field Guide to Western Mushrooms. University of Michigan Press.
- Trudell, Steve and Ammirati J.F. 2009 Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest. Timber Press, Inc.
- Tylutki, E.E. Mushrooms of Idaho and the Pacific Northwest: 1979, Vol.1, Discomycetes. 1987, Vol. 2, Non-gilled Hymenomycetes, (Agaricales and Aphyllophorales). University of Idaho Press.
- Evenson,V. S. 1997. Mushrooms of Colorado and the Southern Rocky Mountains. Westcliffe Publishers and Denver Museum of Natural History.
- Winkler, Daniel. 2011. A Field Guide to Edible Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest. (pamphlet)
National to continental, mix of Pacific NW and other fungi
- Arora, D. 1991. All That the Rain Promises, and More. Ten Speed Press.
- Lincoff, G.H. 1981. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.
- Marteka, V. 1980. Mushrooms Wild and Edible. W. W. Norton & Co.
- Miller, O.K., Jr. 1972. Mushrooms of North America. E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.
- Smith, A.H. & Weber, N.S. 1980. The Mushroom Hunter's Field Guide. The Univ. of Michigan Press.
N. America north of Mexico/areas with similar climate & trees
- Arora, D. 1986. Mushrooms Demystified, ed. 2. Ten Speed Press.
- Bessette, Alan E. et al. Milk Mushrooms of North America. 2009. Syracuse University Press.
- Bessette, Alan E. et. al. Tricholomas of North America. 2013. University of Texas Press.
- Bessette, Alan E. et. al. North American Boletes. 2000. Syracuse University Press.
- Beug, Michael W. et.al. Ascomycete Fungi of North America. 2014. University of Texas Press.
- Breitenbach, J., & Kr"nzlin, F. Fungi of Switzerland. 1981, Vol. 1, Ascomycetes; 1986,Vol. 2, Non-gilled Fungi; 1991, Vol. 3 Boletes and Agarics, 1st part; 1995, Vol. 4, Agarics, 2nd part; 2000, Vol. 5: Agarics 3rd part.Verlag Mykologia Luzern.
- Hansen, L.& Knudsen, H., eds. Nordic Macromycetes. 2000, Vol. 1, Ascomycetes; 1992, Vol. 2. Polyporales, Boletales, Agaricales, Russulales; 1997, Vol. 3, Heterobasidioid, Aphyllophoroid and Gastromycetoid Basidiomycetes. Nordsvamp.
- Kirk, P.M. et. al. Ainsworth & Bisby’s Dictionary of the Fungi. 9th Edition. 2004. CAB International.
- Mad River Press. (Various authors & years). How to Identify Mushrooms to Genus: I, Macroscopic features; II, Field Identification of Genera; III., Microscopic features; IV, Keys to Families and Genera; V. Cultural and Developmental Features; VI, Modern Genera.
- Mad River Press. (Various authors & years). The Agaricales (Gilled Fungi) of California. Eleven sections issued so far on 11 families or groups of gilled mushrooms, more in the works.
- Smith, A.H. 1949. Mushrooms in Their Natural Habitats. Sawyer's, Inc.
- Smith, A.H., Smith, H.V, & Weber, N.S. 1979. How to Know the Gilled Mushrooms. 1981. How to Know the Non-gilled Mushrooms. Wm. C. Brown Co. Publishers.
Links to further Information:
- Sheine, S.: Bibliography For Teaching About Fungi
- Lubrecht & Cramer, Ltd.: International Books by Mail
- Mad River Press, Inc. (Note: Online information dated 2002)
- www.abebooks.com: New Books, Used Books, Rare Books, Out-of-Print Books
- www.alibris.com: New Books, Used Books, Rare Books, Out-of-Print Books
- Rogers, M. Fungal Cave Books: Diverse previously owned mushroom books: email@example.com
- Wayner, G.: Used, Rare, Scholarly and Natural History Books
- Pacific Northwest Key council Link (Keys to Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest): http://www.svims.ca/council/
- Matchmaker (Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest): http://s158336089.onlinehome.us/Ian/
If You Suspect
Contact a physician
or Washington Poison
Come learn with us in our meetings, classes, field trips and more!Benefits of Joining Join Online
Our Wild Mushroom Exhibit is one of the largest and most complete in the United States. Over 200 varieties of wild mushrooms will be displayed, identified, and classified.Learn more